COVID-19 Stop the Spread Agreement
James Madison University Lifelong Learning Institute
Revised March 22, 2021
Providing a safe learning environment requires the full cooperation of all students, faculty, and staff. This agreement serves as a collective commitment to the health and wellbeing of our learning community.
This guidance will be updated based on the rapidly evolving science on COVID-19 vaccines. Until more is known, and vaccination coverage increases, some prevention measures will continue to be necessary for all people, regardless of vaccination status. By placing my signature below,
I am stating that I have read, understand, and agree to abide by the following terms and conditions:
- I will honestly answer any health screening questions provided by event hosts.
- I will adhere to all public health reminders regarding physical distancing, hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette, and reporting symptoms if sick.
- I will adhere to posted capacity limits for all campus spaces, including classrooms, common spaces, and lounges.
- I will wear a well-fitted face mask that always covers the mouth and nose when in an indoor setting shared by others. I understand that this requirement shall not apply in any area under federal jurisdiction or control.
- I will cover my mouth and nose with a well-fitted mask, as described and recommended by the CDC, when outdoors and unable to maintain at least six feet (two arm lengths) of physical distance from other individuals who are not Family members. As defined in Virginia EO-72, “Family members” include blood relations, adopted, step, and foster relations, as well as all individuals residing in the same household or visiting such household pursuant to a child custody arrangement or order.”
- I will remain informed about exceptions to this mask policy, as detailed in Executive Order 72, issued by the Office of the Governor of Virginia.
- If I develop symptoms, I will follow directions for reporting symptoms to the Virginia Department of Health.
- If I test positive, I will self-report to Lifelong Learning Institute staff within 24 hours of receiving test results.
- I will continue to adhere to the expectations set forth in this agreement even if I have previously tested positive for COVID-19 and am considered fully recovered.
- I will continue to adhere to the expectations set forth in this agreement even if I have received vaccination for COVID-19 and am considered fully vaccinated.
- I will follow any future changes to this agreement, communicated by the program or staff through email, and abide by other applicable rules, regulations, or directives from appropriate authorities with respect to the protection of public health.
Additionally, I will refrain from participating and voluntarily withdraw from registered events if I have tested positive for COVID-19, am waiting for COVID-19 test results, have COVID-19 symptoms, or have had close contact with a person who has tested positive for or who has symptoms of COVID-19.
If I feel sick, I agree not to go to the facility and that I will stay home for the period of time recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which is typically two weeks, but may be longer if I am still symptomatic or contagious.
As a participant in the James Madison University Lifelong Learning Institute, I accept the following conditions of participation, and I acknowledge that I have been informed of the general nature of the risks involved in this activity, including, but not limited to, contracting diseases such as COVID-19, also known as the coronavirus disease.
Aware of the foregoing, I acknowledge and agree to the following terms as a condition of participating in JMU Lifelong Learning Institute programs.
- I acknowledge and understand that the circumstances regarding COVID-19 are changing from day to day and that, accordingly, state and federal orders and guidance are regularly modified and updated. I understand that the University has put in place new policies and protocols recommended by federal, state, and local health authorities. I have read and agree to abide by the University’s policies and protocols for COVID-19 at all times while on University property or participating in off-site University-sponsored programs.
- The University is dedicated to providing a safe community to its faculty, staff, students, and visitors. However, I understand that it is impossible for the University to prevent all risk of infection and cannot guarantee that I will not become infected with COVID-19.
- I acknowledge the risk that I may be exposed to or infected by COVID-19 by my presence on the property or participation in off-site programming and that such exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, permanent disability, and/or death.
- I agree to abide by any and all specific requests by the university and the facility for my safety and the safety of others, as well as any and all of the University’s and the facility’s rules and policies applicable to all activities related to this program. I understand that the university and the facility reserve the right to exclude my participation in this program if my participation or behavior is deemed detrimental to the safety or welfare of others.
- In consideration for being permitted to participate in this program, and because I have agreed to assume the risks involved, I hereby agree that I am responsible for any resulting personal injury or illness which may occur as a result of my participation or arising from my participation in this program.
I understand that this Assumption of Risk form will remain in effect during any of my subsequent visits and program-related activities, unless a specific revocation of this document is filed in writing to the James Madison University Lifelong Learning Institute, at which time my participation in the program will cease.
I acknowledge that I have read and fully understand this form before signing it and agree to be bound by its terms.